Balaam's *ss

(Numbers 22. Go look it up.)
Because almost anyone can have some insight into God's will.

Friday, May 20, 2005

We could learn from this.

Look, I'm not asking we destroy all our churches and convert to Unitarianism, but this article in the OpinionJournal (email registration required. That is, if you don't have Mozilla and BugMeNot) could be used as a template for learning how to combine unshakable core values with respect for others.

That's doesn't mean we don't show Christ's love for people, nor does it mean we ease up on our commitment to evangelize the world.

It means we do it in a way that treats the people around us as valued potential recipients of Christ's love, and see them as our equals. Each of us, after all, is "only a sinner, saved by grace".

2 Comments:

Blogger oblik said...

Someone forwarded this to me and your post made me think of this. They call themselves Progressive Christianity but at what point does acceptance of others beliefs conflict with the need to evangelize and help others find Christ. At some point, there is one truth in faith in Christ and respect and acceptance can be two very different things.

May 31, 2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Kevin Creighton said...

I think, kilbo, this is where they err: "and acknowledge that their ways are true for them, as our ways are true for us;".

The thing is, I believe Christianity is good for everybody, and not just myself. If there's something in my life that works well, and changes completely how I live, (like this, only moreso :-) ), the most loving and Christ-like thing I could do is want to get others to experience the same joy I have. To do less would be to deny that what I have could work for other people.

May 31, 2005 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home